Sunday, May 15, 2011

illustration sunday....



I painted this my last semester of art school. It was for an assignment to create and anti-depression poster. I rummaged through my old portfolio this week trying to find this painting because it very much applies to my life right now. I am been feeling kind of blue lately and have been working hard to get myself back on track. I have been exercising and hiking as much as I can and have been listening to tons of happy African(Mali) music, trying to break out of it.
I think a lot of it is because I was hoping to visit my family in Wisconsin this summer with my husband and my children. Until I looked at how much it was going to cost us for the flight alone and it is literally twice as much as it would cost for us to go to Hawaii. So I am trying to not feel sad about that, although I do. I often feel like a pioneer,I left my home and family to go West and although I didn't plan on never returning home, it is so hard for us, who live simply without excess money to make is back home to visit. It costs about the same as three months rent!
I wonder how long it would take in a hot air balloon? ;)

3 comments:

Mama Gone Green said...

This picture is amazing. And, I know what you mean about flight prices to the midwest. I finally got a southwest credit card and since we are so broke that we charge everything, I actually get enough miles to fly myself home once a year (and my parents always splurge to fly finn). And it would be a really, really long road trip with 2 kids!

embracingitall said...

Love your painting, as always. Sorry to hear you have been feeling blue. Distance from family doesn't help when there are airfares to pay for. We have family in New Zealand and even when the flights are 'cheap' it is still too expensive to fly all 5 of us. Jacinta

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi--have you tried Milwaukee flights? They have air price wars going on-- Love this poster!

Jeff