Sunday, March 20, 2011

Illustration Sunday.....dancing birds in color

illustrations 128

illustrations 129

illustrations 115

Last week, during a very monsoon-like morning, my son and I dressed head to toe in our our rain gear, waterproofed the jogging stroller with the rain tent and headed up to the park near our home that is an extinct volcan0. It is a very good workout for me pushing the stroller up this mountain , and a beautiful leisurely ride for my little man. He was dry and cozy, eating pretzel sticks and singing to himself. I was doing my best to ignore the rain, focusing on the music from my ancient ipod(Amadou &Miriam) and happy to get exercise and fresh air. We continued on through the wind and rain and mud and when we reached the top of the mountain the clouds broke open and the sun came out in full force. We noticed several birds happily singing and they seemed to dance in the sunshine. It was the inspiration for this illustration, and a sweet memory that I wanted to capture.
I was also hoping it was a sign. To keep pushing on and working hard and not giving up during the hard times, that there is so much beauty to be found in the future, to stay positive and hopeful and to have faith that it is all going to work out. That things will get better financially for my family. That there are puddles of sunshine to dance in, and a break in the clouds.

7 comments:

embracingitall said...

I love how your sweet birdies have turned out from last week. May the sunshine be the sign you are looking for and may the future be all that you need it to be. With best wishes, Jacinta

Unknown said...

i just ordered a rainsuit for my little one. we have been stuck indoors all weekend, but not any more! xo m.

Mama Gone Green said...

Looks great in color. And I love the story that goes with it!

KD said...

That is absolutely stunning! Well done, and good luck.

simona said...

thanks for sharing this story. the illustration will bring back memories, so put it up for next winter and you'll be able to recall this beautiful day!

witte's end studio said...

great start to getting back to watercolors. i know from personal experience that the technique takes a few tries to get back, but you have done a nice job with the flat washes (which i think are the most difficult) right from the get go. the gray of the cloud swirls is a perfect foil for the bright colors of the birds and sun. i can't wait for next sunday. thanks for your kind words regarding my work on my blog. if it weren't for you, no one would have said anything! i really thought it would spark SOME discussion. on a separate note...looking forward to the fall!

a little crafty nest said...

This is stunning and beautiful and creative and wow!!!