Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One skein short ......

unfinished sweater front


knitting 002


unfinished sweater


unfinishedsweaterside

knitting


The "Tea Leaves" sweater by Melissa LaBarre caught my eye several months ago and I was hooked, I had to make it. My first sweater for me. The problem was I really wanted the colorway that was shown in the pattern(The yarn used for this project is called Madelinetosh and the color way is Tannehill) but I could not find it anywhere. It was out of stock in every on-line yarn store that retailed Madelinetosh yarn. So I got put on a wait list and four month later I got a notice it was available.....
Here is where the trouble starts. They had 4 skeins in stock, and my sweater called for 5. But me, being impatient and knowing how popular and hard to find this yarn was, I bought the 4 skeins and figured I would just get another when I got to that point.
So here I am, many many months after I first spotted the sweater, and in the middle of the hottest part of summer, at that point.
So I needed to find just one more skein. The store where I got the first 4 isn't carrying the yarn anymore so I found another shop, that did. I ordered my yarn and when it got here the colorway was WAY different than the other skeins I had used to make my sweater. It is much brighter and the colors are much more saturated...way too different to use. UGH! My sweater remains incomplete.
So I could go on and on buying skeins on-line and getting colorways that don't match. But yarn is expensive and I have no money to spare at this time. Madelinetosh yarn is dyed in very small dye lots and the labels do not have lot numbers on them. I emailed all the local yarn shops asking if they carried Madelinetosh yarn in the colorway that I am aching to find. And there are many, many local yarn shops in Portland.
But one place(the closest to my house, actually) got back to me and they are waiting on a shipment of the very same yarn that I am seeking. So I am hoping when it gets there I can go down with my sweater in hand and find a skein that comes just close enough so that I can finish it. I will keep you posted. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

the sweater is beautiful but not as beautiful as YOU dear. You are as pretty as ever. xoxoxo

Mama Gone Green said...

Me and my 2 different shaded legwarmers feel your pain!!
It looks great so far!