Monday, September 7, 2009

One last summer adventure

Today was Sophie's last day of summer vacation and I simply couldn't stand the idea of spending it in the city. I had originally hoped to make it out to Lost Lake since we hadn't been there since I was pregnant with Solomon, but the weather was really cool..., too cool for a mountain lake. So we drove down to Silver Falls State Park.
It has been almost 10 years since Ben and I came here the first time on our first trip together, and my first trip anywhere, really. I was 19 at the time. I remember I was so tired that I could hardly make it back up the trail after hiking around the South Falls. I was very newly pregnant with Sophie then, and very, very tired. We had made a huge detour just to see a waterfall(we missed the 30+ waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge somehow!!). I was too sick to really enjoy it the first time which was a HUGE bummer because I had been waiting to see a waterfall all my life.
When I was little, I was obsessed with waterfalls. I fantasized about them,had dreams about them, drew pictures of them, and wrote stories about them. I thought they were magical places. But I believed they only existed in the real world in Hawaii. I had no idea that someday I would be living in a state pretty much drowning in waterfalls. The only thing missing from thoes childhood fantasies are the unicorns. I am hoping to have a goat someday,.... and that's close enough.



No comments: