Thursday, January 16, 2014

Inspirational Homesteaders

I can not express how excited I am to see this show, this is my kind of guy. The Legend of Mick Dodge is about a man who lives barefoot deep in the forests of the Hoh Rainforest in Washington's Olympic National Park. Problem is we don't have cable! Ack!



Currently I have been obsessed with Alaska the Last Frontier. I crave that kind of all day, hard manual labor, no joke. It just seems so deeply satisfying. Being a vegetarian I would not last long up there. I am very much drawn to that kind of lifestyle.

One of the most inspiring homesteaders is Dick Proenneke. Who in his 50's moved to Alaska alone and built his cabin from scratch, he even made his own nails and hardware out of old cans and lived a completely self sufficient existence for 30 years in the Alaskan wilderness.You can see part of his story here:

I would have to say that Tasha Tudor is my favorite homesteader. She truly created her own little piece of heaven on earth. She has inspired me so much and when ever I need a pick me up I watch her documentary called Take Joy. She was just so amazingly creative, an illustrator and an amazing mother she created a simply magical childhood for her children.I highly recommend watching it if you can get your hands on a copy. I purchased my copy online because I could not find it locally and the library did not have it, but it was money well spent. I am sure I watch it several times a year.
I found a video about Tasha online but it is in Japanese, however you get a stunning tour of her gardens and when Tasha speaks it is in English of course. There is also a part two if you would like to see more.


I hope you enjoy all these people as much as I do and find their lives fascinating and inspiring.


1 comment:

Mama Gone Green said...

I recorded the Mick series. Feel free to come over and we can watch it together!!