Sunday, February 13, 2011

Illustration Sunday.....

illustrations 081


This is a sketch I did this week using a photo of Tasha Tudor for a reference. She is a huge inspiration for me, a real mentor. I watch the movie Take Joy whenever I need a boost of inspiration. I only recently discovered Tasha, after art school when a mom at the park asked me if I knew of her work. It is just amazing how similar she is to the character I created in my story(the one I am working to get published). The character in my story is an elderly woman named Dahlia and she has a love for gardening and preforms secret marionette shows at the farmers market for children where she sells her flowers. After finding out about Tasha and leaning about her life it was as if Dahlia came alive. Now I have a perfect real life reference for developing Dahlia's character.


Speaking of inspiration,I came across this beautiful book at a church sale this weekend.

Aren't these illustrations just lovely?




4 comments:

Mama Gone Green said...

Great job! Dahlia is one of the names that Todd and I have talked about for Grasser!

Mama Ash Grove said...

Heidi, I also love Tasha Tudor- and I love your drawing!!!

witte's end studio said...

nice drawing. it is pretty obvious to me that you make a connection with your subject here. it seems to make a difference when one does that is not lost on the audience. thanks for sharing your work.

simona said...

I love your sketch and the story behind it!