Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Yarn Along

1306

Since I have been well enough to read and knit the past few days I thought I would join in on this weeks Yarn Along hosted By Ginny at Small Things.
I could stand it no longer I needed a good book. So I gave in and went to a local bookstore to get a copy of The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I love it already and read the first five chapters before falling asleep.
The knitting project I am working on is the "Star Afghan" by Sandra Daignault from the book Knitter's at Home. I don't know if it is pregnancy brain or what but it took me a long time to figure out how to get this blanket started. For some reason I could not grasp the circle cast on, and wasn't ending up with the right number of stitches at the beginning of the pattern. Finally I You Tubed "circle cast- on" and watched the video about 50 times and then finally got cast on, sheesh. Then when I didn't get the right number of stitches I just kept going anyway intuitively and I soon caught back up to the pattern. Now I am finally on track, the pattern is easy to remember and it is a pretty fun knit. But it takes a lot of concentration(not my strong point a.t.m.) to remember where I am at in the pattern and the rows are getting longer and longer. Also I am not sure of my yarn choice for this project. I am thinking maybe a softer yarn would have been better since I was intending this to be a baby blanket. Maybe I will make another. Sounds nuts? maybe, but if you peek on Ravelry there are several "Star Afghans" by the same knitters. Gotta hold on when you find a good thing:)

10 comments:

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

It's really pretty! Such a neat pattern and the yarn colors are awesome!

Anke said...

WOW! That is going to be a stunnig afghan.

trish said...

Afghan looks amazing! I love it when I can't put a book down.x

Unknown said...

Oh wow! I always think, this is the year I'm going to teach myself how to knit properly and I never do.

The afghan looks like it's going to be beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished results.

karen said...

I love all the colors in the afghan!!

Mama Gone Green said...

I hope we pick the help for book club!

Wendy said...

What a great pattern--really lovely!

Lori ann said...

i would make it twice too, it's a really pretty pattern.

Dena Hill said...

Heidi, I'm a new follower of your dad's blog and a found yours there. I too am a knitter but at the moment I am spending all my spare time doing watercolor painting. I really loved all the pictures of your vacation along the Oregon coast and the redwoods. I have traveled there and it is truly one of my favorite places in the world. I hope this finds you continuing to feel better.

house full of jays said...

Oh I love it that afghan - your wool is so pretty! When I find a pattern I like I'm tempted to knit it over and over...sometimes easier than thinking of something new.
I loved The Help - didn't want to put it down!