Sunday, April 17, 2011

Illustration Sunday....."Pure Joy" in color


I somehow found a few minutes in my week to work on my painting. It was a little frustrating only being able to paint in small chunks at a time, but that is part of being a mom. Speaking of Mama artists I also got the documentary, WHo Does She Think SHe is? in the mail and watched it
immediately. It was so worth the wait, truly inspiring and I am sure to watch it over and over again for inspiration as I do Tasha Tudor's Take Joy.
This painting like I said last week was inspired by the birth of my second child. Pure Joy is what I felt for several months I was just so amazingly happy and content.
I was sort of robbed of this joy with my first child. Ben I were young 19 and 20 and not married when we found out we were pregnant the first time. I was terrified, my family was angry and disappointed with me. I felt a bit envious of first time moms who are met with nothing but happiness and joy for their news. Even when I found out I was pregnant with our second after Ben and I had been married for 7 years, I was hesitant to tell my family and didn't tell anyone for several weeks.
I am happy I got to feel mama joy the second time around.

8 comments:

house full of jays said...

I love the colours you chose for this, Heidi! Very beautiful - and thanks for sharing the story behind your inspiration.
We don't get a lot of family support during our pregnancies - our families don't agree with many of our choices - so I can imagine what a difficult time that would have been. I'm so happy that you were able to experience the joy that was somewhat robbed from you when your first child was born.

Melanie~Our Ash Grove said...

Heidi, this painting is so beautiful, I absolutely love, love it!!!

I am sorry about your loss of mama joy first time around. How difficult that would be!
I am so glad you were able to experience it with your second pregnancy.
It's not the same thing, but I imagine the feeling is similar- I felt and still feel loss over the births of my first two, as they were both cesarean. I had a VBA2C with my third and fourth. This was most definitely a healing experience, though I still feel the sadness and probably will for a long while.
Hugs to you!

angelina said...

this is so beautiful, a celebration of life . thank you for sharing. x

Tessa said...

I love the painting AND that you were so blissful after Sollie was born. xoxoxo

Mama Gone Green said...

You finished it! It looks fab!

bob witte said...

okay, now i'm a little late! nice job with your first watercolor in a while. those light color washes are difficult to pull off. great use of the "salt" trick. keep 'em comin'!

Katie said...

This is so beautiful :)

Simona said...

what a very nice, sweet picture and lovely explanation of your inspiration. thanks for sharing this!